Understanding The Need For Professional Electricians

Don't Let Your Wiring Heat Up: How To Prevent An Electrical Fire

With winter in full swing and holidays gearing up, it's time to start worrying about electrical problems. More specifically, electrical fires. With all the added electricity that's needed over the holidays, it's not unusual for fires to break out. Unfortunately, electrical fires can destroy the holidays and your home. Not only that, but they can also put your family at risk. To help you reduce your risk of electrical fires, here are three safety precautions you should take.

Remember That Space Heaters Aren't a Permanent Fix

When the temperatures start to dip, it can be tempting to break out the space heaters. While they are a good way to take the chill off your house, they're also a good way to start an electrical fire. This is particularly true if they're allowed to run for too long. Because of the amount of power they require to run properly, they can overheat and short out, which can lead to an electrical fire in your home. To prevent that, try to limit their usage, and don't rely on them for a permanent solution to cold rooms.

Keep Track of the Extension Cords You're Using

If you're going to be having guests in for the holidays, you may run out of outlets for all the added electronic gadgets that will be in your home. Unfortunately, loading up on the extension cords is a good way to end up with an electrical fire, especially if you're using outdated extension cords. To prevent electrical fires, don't go overboard on the extension cord use. If you run out of outlet space, try to utilize surge protector power strips that come equipped with emergency shut-off switches, or have the kids take turns charging their electronic gadgets.

Give Your Kitchen Outlets a Break

When you're busy cooking up those massive holiday meals, you may find yourself utilizing all the power outlets. One of the worst things you can do is have all your kitchen outlets filled and pulling power at the same time. Unfortunately, this can happen when you have the mixers, blenders, and food processors all going at the same time. Not to mention when you start using the microwave. To prevent electrical overloads in the kitchen during the holidays, try to stagger the use of your small kitchen appliances. Staggering the use of your small kitchen appliances will help prevent electrical overload, and reduce your risk of electrical fires.

For more tips, contact an electrician in your area.


Share